Nutrition & Fitness
Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston ICCS NSLP adheres to the The Texas Department of Agriculture guidelines for accommodating children with special dietary needs.
The Child Nutrition Department will accept either of the following as documentation of a special dietary need:
The form must:
- Be signed by a licensed physician.
- Identify the child’s disability and/or life-threatening food allergy.
- Include an explanation of why the disability and/or allergy restricts the child’s diet.
- Identify the major life activity affected by the disability.
- List the food or foods to be voided from the child’s diet and the food or choice of foods that must be substituted.
- We will also accept a Medical Statement for Children with Special Dietary Needs as long as the following is included:
- It must be signed by a physician, physician assistant, or advanced practical nurse.
- The form must identiy the medical condition(s) that restrict the child’s diet.
- It must lists the food or foods to be voided from the child’s diet and the food or choice of foods to be substituted.
SPECIFIC REQUESTS MUST BE DETAILED ON THE SUBMITTED DOCUMENTATION.
Documentation must be submitted to the School Nurse for verification, who will then forward a copy to Nutrition Services. Dietary accommodations begin once Nutrition Services receives and processes the request. Please note that dietary accommodations that require purchasing specific items may not be immediately available. It can take up to four weeks to receive delivery of special order items.
Balance is essential for any Wellness Policy. Key areas include:
- Nutrition Education
- Physical activity
- Other school-based activities that are designed to promote student wellness.
School Open House Events
Nutrition Services staff welcomes the opportunity to participate in school open house events. These events provide a great setting for Nutrition Services staff to educate students and parents about the importance of health and nutrition while providing and distributing specific information about the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston Child Nutrition program. Contact Child Nutrition to make arrangements for participation, 713.391.2624.
View our Wellness Policy